Documents and data on iPhone: I know how much you might be frustrated by seeing your phone frequently popping up with a message that the storage space is low. Don’t worry you are not alone, there are many people who face this situation including me. This made me write up this article on Documents and Data iPhone, iPad. I hope you loved this article and you have deleted the documents and data on your iPhone and iPad
What is documents and data on iPhone
Whenever you check the storage space occupied the apps on your iPhone or iPad, you may be surprised to see that documents and data take up a lot of storage space on your iPhone. Now let us understand what is “Documents and data” and go through the steps to delete documents and data on iPad or iPhone
Most of the apps in your iPhone or iPad stores things such as sign-in info, app-related attachments, app caches and message history. For the ease of understanding, all this information is labeled as “documents and data” on iPhone.
After some period of time, this documents and data end up consuming a lot of storage space on your device and it is not uncommon to see “documents and data” for some of the apps taking up more space than the original app itself. This can be seen in case of Snapchat. The original snap chat has an app size of 60.7 MB whereas its documents and data takes 343 MB of space.
Delete documents and data on iPhone
The easiest way to delete documents and data on iPhone is to delete the apps generating the most amount of documents and data and then reinstall back the apps again on your device.
1) First tap on settings>General>iPhone storage.
2) On your iPhone screen, once you tap the iPhone storage, then you can see the apps which occupy the most amount of data and documents on your iPad or iPhone. Now tap on the app which occupies the most amount of storage space on Documents and Data on your iPhone. In the below image you can see snapchat occupying 212.7 MB. Now click snap chat
3) Once you click snapchat, you can see “Delete App” option at the bottom of your phone screen.
4) Now delete the app and its related “Documents and data” from your iPhone. As you can see from the below image documents and data iPhone occupies 95.7 MB.
5) Once you have deleted the app, open the App store on your iPad and search for the deleted app
6) Now install the deleted app again on your device.
Once the app is reinstalled, now check the storage space of the app again by going to settings> General> iPhone storage> Snapchat.
As you can see from the image, the app size reduced from 95.7 MB to 49 kb on the reinstalled app.
In the same way, you can check all the other apps in the iPhone storage screen which are occupying more space in the documents and data and clear those apps.
Also, check how to disable Find My iPhone
Delete Documents and Data from icloud
Apart from iPhone, apps end up storing a lot of data in the form of douments and data on icloud. You can follow these simple steps to delete documents and data on icloud stored by the apps
1) Open settings on your iPad or iPhone
2) Next, go to settings and tap Apple ID.
3) On apple ID screen, tap icloud
4) Next on icloud screen, tap the manage storage option
5) After you click the manage storage option, you can see a list of apps and the amount of storage space they occupy in icloud. Those apps which occupy the most amount of storage space will be seen on the top of the list. Now tap on the app which you want to delete documents and data from icloud. (check the below image)
Suppose you selected iBooks app, then tap on it and tap delete documents and data option ( see below image). Next, you can you tap on delete again.
This will delete the documents and data from icloud related to ibooks app. You can repeat the same steps again for the other apps and recover as much icloud storage space as possible